Active mold growth can be a health hazard as well as interfere with the aesthetics of a building if not controlled early. High moisture levels for a long period of time with suitable temperature range in the presence of organic matter, provides the most desirable environment for molds to thrive.– Although the thing all molds need most is moisture, the walls, floors, appliances, carpet, or furniture they can all provide the food mold needs to grow. Most likely molds can be seen in damp places such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, and crawl spaces. However, it is advisable to keep the house warm in cool weather. As the temperature goes down, the air is less able to hold moisture and it condenses on cold surfaces, which can encourage mold growth.
The removal of water and moisture rapidly is one of the best precautions to avert the mold menace. Dry wet areas within 24 to 48 hours whereby all visible water, high ambient humidity or any saturated materials should be eliminated fast especially in environments that had experienced floods. Nevertheless, buildings should be well maintained to check on any dripping pipes, seepage or any leaking air conditioners to avoid mold infestations. It is important that as the mold cleaning up process is being done the problem causing dampness should be fixed. If the problem is not fixed, the mold will most likely return. In order to effectively get a quick and lasting solution to mitigate molds, the following questions are very vital;
-What is the cause?
-How can it be prevented?
-Is it dangerous?
-What is the most effective way to get rid of the mold problem?
Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. To the people who are sensitive to molds inhaling or touching mold spores can cause allergic reactions like; coughing or wheezing, nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, eye irritation, and, or, in some cases, skin irritation. More severe reaction may be shortness of breath. For the people who are asthmatic and react to molds, breathing in spores can also cause an asthmatic attack.
Proper maintenance and structural drying inhibits the growth of molds. The following measures can be considered when controlling the infestation and the spread of molds;
- Moisture levels should be checked to determine any spots of water damage on the building
- Tracking of hidden moisture on the pipes running through the walls or ceiling plenums should be done
- The right equipment should be placed appropriately and on time to hasten the drying process.
- Keep a track record for the daily moisture level using a hygrometer?
- Determine the building’s normal moisture level so that it is kept under control at all times
Miami-Dade restoration has experienced professionals who are ready 24/7 to offer the following mold mitigation services;
– Testing the initial quality of air
– Safety measures and barriers for mold growth and spreading
– Identifying the mold infested walls
– Structural drying
– Removal of molds
– Molds clean up services
– HVAC cleaning
– Preventing cross-contamination
– Structural dehumidification using dehumidifiers and air conditioners, especially in hot, humid climates, to reduce moisture in the air.
– The final clearance testing
– Reconstructing the affected walls
However, it is also very crucial to open doors between rooms to increase circulation, which carries heat to cold surfaces. In addition, increase air circulation by using fans and by moving furniture from wall corners.